Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Oh Willow Tree

Did you know that willows can be coppiced? Did you also know that when placed in water or damp soil, a willow will resprout roots? We like to use the spanish term for this "pega-pega" ("stick-stick"), mostly because its fun to say.

Anyhow, my desire for a christmas tree this year led me to do a bit of experimenting with coppicing and pega-pega on the willow tree growing in the back corner of our yard. Of course you can't cut down a tree without a lumber-jacket on (I think I just invented a new word), even if it is 20 degrees Celsius.
I headed out bravely into what more closely resembles a junk yard than a wilderness. And after quick rendevous with a particularly overgrown willow branch...

I emerged triumphant. I allowed my trophy husband to pose with me and our harvested tree, because I think he's cute. I was feeling all merry, and humming christmas carols. Its a bit hard to get into the Christmas spirit when its hot and muggy out, but we were trying our best.


Earlier that day I had made some bundles of lavender harvested from the bush outside our front door.

I added these to a garland and angel I bought at Trade Aid and the bride and groom cake toppers my sister made us for our wedding.

Then we set the willow branch in a bucket of sand, and lacking placement options in our home-in-progress, decided to set it in a wheel barrow, for easy transport. Then, while belting out that song from "Love Actually" and listening to that rock and roll Christmas CD we used to listen to growing up. (You know, the one with Sting and Cyndi Lauper singing Christmas Carols). We decorated that bad boy.
And look! It's already filling up with presents.
As the kids at my day camp say... "Only 2 sleeps 'till Santa".




-June Cleverer

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about willow trees! I love your tree and decorations for it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Sam and I were wrapping the gifts this Christmas Eve and thinking what a waste of paper this is, I thought of you and wondered what you would be wrapping your gifts in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if you can tell from the picture, but we wrapped our gifts in cloth, mostly scraps that I had laying around. Bigger pieces will be used in some future crafty project and the smaller pieces will be recycled into tomato ties for the garden.

    ReplyDelete