Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Act Locally, Share Globally

I am a natural skeptic about new technology. I am not an "early adopter." I am more Amish in my approach - carefully weighing the costs and benefits before choosing what is appropriate. The technologies we've chosen to embrace for this project have well-documented results for return-on-investment in terms of energy savings. Examples are insulation and solar hot water.


Education also embraces certain technologies. And naturally, I am skeptical about those as well. It took me years to appreciate the power of blogs and podcasts. But now I am sold on their educational value. One of my favorite podcasts is called Two Beers with Steve.


I have done a number of interviews with him in the past, but this one is designed to coincide with my do-dig garden series: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.


While I remain skeptical about much of the use of the internet, I think it has been a great help to us sharing the success of this project with a world wide audience. Our goal is to demonstrate that being green is not expensive. On the contrary, not being green is expensive! We enjoy a high quality of life with very low energy and food bills, and we are actively involved in making our local community more sustainable. Some of our experiences may be considered useful by someone on the other side of the planet. The web allows us to share our story with them with a very low carbon footprint.

So as the environmental movement evolves, I propose the next stage of evolution involves acting locally and sharing globally. Governments and corporations won't do it for us. We need to help one another learn how to be green and save some green.






Peace, Estwing


No comments:

Post a Comment